Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Work

Dearest ML,

A stupid question to ask - do you think we really have to "work"? Work meaning to have a job and get a pay check, despite you may face ridiculous and unreasonable boss, despite you may not learn anything new from the routine job.

My parents thought I need to work. To me work is more like generating income and ideally accumulate wealth. If I can generate sufficient income to support my daily expenses and assuming this is something that I enjoy doing, do you think we still need to work?

And life is not exactly about "money" or "wealth". We can be poor but do something we truly enjoy or bring meaning to others. If so, what's the point of "work"?

I do not foresee going back to the corporate world for the time being. I enjoy my freedom, I enjoy taking risks, I enjoy doing something that bring benefits back to the community. And honestly my family is not under any financial pressure, I do not understand why they insist I need to "work". 

Your view please?


k  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I strongly agree with this when I see a great number of Japanese people who look extremely stressed, tired and depressed due to the long long-hour-working. Plus, they have no time to communicate with their family which causes a lot of family problems. If you don't have a kid, you can live happily within $1000 in a month even in Japan. My mother is the same, she talks about work all the time and nags about a lot of things and her life. She makes decent money, but she has never looked happy. When I think of her and Japanese life, I just realize that saving/money actually has never made them happy even though they believe it does. Why no one smiles here? The majority of people don't look happy at all.

    ReplyDelete