Friday, January 6, 2012

De-facebook

Dearest ML,

Funny that you brought up the topic about Facebook in our last email and that you are spending much less time on it. On the contrary, I found myself spending comparatively more time on it in view I have been in the States. It is indeed a good way to stay in touch with friends but there are certain aspects that I dislike about Facebook -

1. Privacy - I value my privacy and I would not prefer to disclose everything on that platform.

2. And you do bring up one good point - comparison. Am I comparing my life with others on Facebook even unconsciously? You know my facebook I check it but I seldom make new posting. So in a way I do know how others are doing, how my ex is having a great time with his GF etc... And not to mention a lot of my high school / uni-mates are married with kids now with a few more babies on the way. So I have to ask myself - do I have any benefit from "peeking" into others' life?

3. I'd appreciate a more in-depth approach to my genuine friends whereas I do not see how I can benefit from leaving note / 1 line on their wall?

I cannot agree with you more that Facebook can be toxic. I know people start to de-facebook for various reasons. Some of my friends never have Facebook and they still survive! So maybe I will do that one day, but for the time being, I know I am not yet ready and prefer to leave the status quo.


k  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I had never used Facebook until a year ago. D told me to try, so I did. I had thought it lacks privacy and was a waste of time like the anti-Facebook say. As I started, I re-unioned with some friends which was sweet. But like you said I prefer reading/writing emails than just one sentence comment. About comparing, I think we, humans, all do it consciously and unconscionably. But then, I convince myself with this truth "The grass is always greener on the other side" I have never seen one who has it all. So I try to look at what I've got and feel very happy and appreciative. Anyway, I think of quitting Facebook these days because I feel like it's interpersonal and also a waste of time as I check out often. As a matter of fact, I already quit Google+

    ReplyDelete