Saturday, December 10, 2011

So what??

Dearest ML,

You are lucky!! By pure coincidence I managed to dig out the Chinese article of "so what" attitude.

It begins like this (sorry I may not be good in translation):

Lately I attended a campaign called "iPaint xmas tree" at a shopping mall in Hong Kong where they invited a few disabled artist to design xmas trees. Some of them have hearing disability, some with physical disability. This makes me remember the book written by Nick Vujicic as he is a person born without any limbs. The tone of the book is light and I cannot feel any sense of unhappiness in his writing.

One line that he wrote is : 

"Disability is my physical attribute, there is no need to be upset by my physical attribute"

Very shocking!

I always ask myself "so what?"

Physical attribute can be referred as "if my nose is perfectly high and straight enough, if my legs are long enough" but the author (Nick) can see his in-born disability as his normal physical attribute, it proves his independent & adverse way of thinking can make him score A+ in general education in Hong Kong. When the majority of us are crazy about slimming, plastic surgery, botex etc... and being too concerned about how people's view on us, have we ever thought of seeing our imperfect area as our physical attribute?

Successful people always ask "why not?" to think out-of-the-box. We have to ask "so what?" often to adjust our thinking. We are overweight, we are slim, with short legs, or with bald head. The first line to say is "so what"? Then our self-confidence will immediately come back, and we feel good about ourselves.

I can further elaborate the above "physical attribute" and "so what?" logic to journey of life. When we encounter the inevitable unfortunate incidents that happen in our journey of life, we will realize how fragile our physical body can be, but our will (power) can be strong. I remember the author (Nick) wrote "my love life is irrelevant to my disability, most importantly is "I do not use disability as an excuse" because no one will find someone who's self pity and pathetic to be charming".

Look, if we have "so what", there is nothing much to be afraid of. Being dumped by someone, so what? This is inevitable in journey in life. Loss of job, so that? Also inevitable in journey of life.

So one line of "so what" can be very powerful. And to have a fulfilling life, it all begins with "so what".

=================================

Very meaningful huh?


k   xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!

    I think this is definitely in line with the advice I received once of "don't take life toooo seriously." When things go wrong, shrug it off... could be worse. Learn to laugh at yourself and make light of certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say it is the mentality that counts, and the "so what" attitude is one of the key ways to be SMART and reduces a lot of self-inflicted troubles

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete